- 1 The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA)
The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA)
The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) is a special political mission established by the United Nations to support the Afghan government and people. UNAMA works towards promoting peace, protecting human rights, and ensuring justice in Afghanistan.
Gender-Based Violence in Afghanistan
Afghanistan faces significant challenges regarding gender-based violence, with women and girls being particularly vulnerable. Gender-based violence includes but is not limited to acts such as domestic violence, sexual assault, forced marriages, and harmful traditional practices.
UNAMA is committed to addressing gender-based violence and ensuring justice and protection for survivors. Through various programs and initiatives, UNAMA aims to create a safe and inclusive society for all Afghan women and girls.
UNAMA undertakes several key initiatives to combat gender-based violence in Afghanistan:
1. Advocacy and Awareness
UNAMA raises awareness about the rights of survivors and the consequences of gender-based violence through campaigns, workshops, and community engagement activities. By advocating for legislative reforms and policy implementations, UNAMA ensures the protection and support of survivors.
2. Strengthening Legal Framework
UNAMA works closely with the Afghan government and civil society organizations to enhance the legal framework related to gender-based violence. This includes advocating for the implementation and enforcement of laws that protect survivors and hold perpetrators accountable.
3. Capacity Building
UNAMA conducts training workshops and provides technical assistance to relevant stakeholders, including law enforcement agencies, judiciary, and healthcare providers. By enhancing their capacity to respond effectively to cases of gender-based violence, UNAMA contributes to improving survivor support and promoting justice.
4. Collaboration and Partnerships
UNAMA collaborates with national and international partners, including governmental and non-governmental organizations, to strengthen the collective response to gender-based violence. By establishing partnerships, UNAMA ensures a coordinated approach that maximizes resources and services available to survivors.
Since its establishment, UNAMA has made notable progress in ensuring justice and protection for survivors of gender-based violence in Afghanistan. Some of the achievements include:
- Increased awareness about the rights of survivors and the importance of addressing gender-based violence within communities.
- Improved legal framework through advocacy and policy reforms, leading to better protection for survivors and increased accountability for perpetrators.
- Strengthened capacity of law enforcement agencies, judiciary, and healthcare providers to respond to gender-based violence cases.
- Enhanced coordination among stakeholders, resulting in improved services for survivors and a more holistic approach towards addressing gender-based violence.
UNAMA plays a vital role in combatting gender-based violence in Afghanistan. Through its various initiatives and collaborations, UNAMA continues to work towards ensuring justice and protection for survivors, while striving for a society free from all forms of violence and discrimination.